Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Tappers Jazzed at the Strand Tuesday night


Savion Glover and ensemble at the Strand

The tap master, Savion Glover, was a jazz musician at the Strand Tuesday night. His percussive shoes played on and on as he faced his partners on sax, piano, bass and drums. His feet offered polyrhythms, counter rhythms and an ever-rolling series of riffs.

He seemed happiest, however, when he was joined by three young tappers for ensemble work. Their interaction was very break-dancey, street corner-minded and call-and-response oriented. In fact, every part of Glover's many graceful moves brought to mind African-American contributions to the performing arts.

1 comment:

Chris Jay said...

I think was the most amazing thing I've seen at the Strand since Nickel Creek. I went expecting a dance performance, but I feel like I actually saw experimental improv music.